Thursday, December 30, 2010
Best of Books 2010!
Edit: This survey was created by my awesome friend Jamie at The Perpetual Page Turner. (I'm sorry I forgot to credit you. I just realized it this morning! ARGH.)
1. Best book of 2010?
I have different categories for this one. If we're talking about best YA paranormal, I'd say Nevermore by Kelly Creagh. I love the world she's created and I love Varen! (Runners up are Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready and Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson.) If we're talking about "best YA book that has been out for a couple of years, but I just read it recently," that'd be Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr. If we're talking about "best YA-to-adult book that I should've known about earlier and I'm pissed off that I didn't," that'd be the Jessica Darling series by Megan McCafferty, more specifically Second Comings.
2. Worst book of 2010?
Tempted by PC & Kristen Cast. I couldn't even finish it and I will never pick up a HoN book again. Not sure how or why I continued to book six in the first place. Perhaps I just had faith that it would magically redeem itself, but that didn't happen. I give up.
3. Most Disappointing Book of 2010?
Fallen by Lauren Kate. I was hoping that the story, characters, all of it would match the beautiful cover. Unfortunately, I almost DNFed this one because I could hardly keep my eyes open. I was sad because there was so much hype surrounding this book. Another reason I am a hype-o-phobic. Also, the first three Black Dagger Brotherhood books by JR Ward. I swear to you, I am the ONLY person in existence who didn't enjoy these books. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for them.
4. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2010?
I know I keep referring to series in these questions, but whatever. The most surprising books for me were the four Dark Guardian books by Rachel Hawthorne. They looked cheesy and short (and honestly, they were) but in a positive fashion. If you're in the mood for mushy, soulmatey kind of goo, read these books! I loved them.
5. Book you recommended to people most in 2010?
Probably A Blue So Dark by Holly Schindler. This book is heartbreaking and glimpses into the life of a teenager trying to cope with a schizophrenic mother. Holly's writing is gorgeous and really makes you see what she sees. Very enlightening and terrifying book. Also, Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready. FABULOUS BOOK.
6. Best series you discovered in 2010?
The Hunger Games trilogy.
7. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2010? Jeri Smith-Ready, Kelly Creagh, Julie Kagawa, Holly Schindler. I will now read anything by them.
8. Most hilarious read of 2010? Definitely Second Comings by Megan McCafferty. I've never laughed so much at a book before. EVAR. My husband had to stop me frequently and ask me to read the line that was so hysterical.
9. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2010?
Definitely Mockingjay. I raced ahead, I cried, I shook the bed with sobs at 3am.
10. Book you most anticipated in 2010?
Even though they were the first in a series, definitely Nevermore by Kelly Creagh and Nightshade by Andrea Cremer. As far as books that were already in a series, Spirit Bound and Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead.
11. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2010?
Nightshade, for sure! SO PRETTYYYYY.
12. Most memorable character in 2010?
Jessica Darling, hands down. Do you see a pattern? DO YOU? Rose Hathaway, as a runner-up. And as far as a male character: IRIAL from the Wicked Lovely series. Oh, le swoon.
13. Most beautifully written book in 2010?
A Blue So Dark by Holly Schindler. Her words are like poetry.
14. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2010?
This is a tough one. If you're referring to the book that made me most emotional this year, it was Mockingjay. I cried SO hard. I couldn't even read another book for a few days after that one. If you're referring to the book that hit home (per se), then it'd be A Blue So Dark because I worked closely with paranoid schizophrenic patients this year. If you're referring to the book that caused the most turning over and over in my head, it'd be Shade, because that book broke my little ol' heart.
15. Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2010 to finally read? Again, the Jessica Darling series. You guys, read these books. Please.